Pastoral Transition Information
Pastoral Transition Status
The Call Committee has narrowed the list to 3 candidates.
- Pastor Paul Dare – http://hclutheranchurch.org/Default.aspx
- Pastor Patrick Gumz – http://www.immanuellakin.org/home & http://www.graceulysses.org/home
- Pastor Bradley Stoltenow – http://shepherdhills-church.org/
Dates to Remember:
- Sunday mornings 9am – Prayer Vigils
Board of Elders
No current task related to call process.
The following Call Committee actions have been taken:
- The LCMS Minnesota South District has provided a call list of pastor candidates. List includes the nominations (4) received from the congregation plus additional candidates identified by the district. Additional candidate profile and background information for call committee to review has been mailed by the district.
- See status at top of page.
The Farewell Committee has held several meetings to plan a fare well event.
- Thank you to the Farewell Committee and volunteers for the planning, preparation, and celebration of Pastor Vaughn and Donna’s farewell event.
- The celebration program and lunch was held immediately following the Sunday Aug 7th worship service. Over 400 individuals (family, friends, and congregation members) were on hand to recognize Pastor Vaughn and Donna.
The Study Committee actions are complete: Thank you to all of the study committee members for their efforts and support.
- A brief survey was sent out to non-members employed by the church, school or ELCC ministries. Very insightful and supportive feedback with recommendations was received. The non-member information will be utilized, along with information received from congregation member surveys, by the Board of Elders and Board of Directors to make improvements or address concerns.
- Feedback from Congregational Member surveys has been collected and consolidated into a ‘Congregational Self Study’ report. Report has been provided to the District and Call Committee Chair.
- The Congregational Self Study Report summarizing the survey results has been prepared and is available at the information desk and on church website on the ‘Member Resource’ ‘Transition Status’ page.
- A Demographics Study Report was prepared for the church by the Lutheran Church Extension Fund (LCEF) to help our congregation reflect on and better reach out to our local community. A meeting explaining this report was held on July 14 and additional slides from that meeting have also been posted to the church website.
The Prayer Committee is meeting Wednesday Evenings from 6:30 to 7:00 to hold prayer vigils for the transition process and other prayer requests. Congregation member participation and prayers are encouraged and greatly appreciated.
Hospitality Committee has been established. We are too early in the Transition process for reportable status from this committee.
Pastoral Transition Plan
As it states in our constitution, in calling a pastor to preach the Word of God and to administer the sacraments on their behalf, the members of the congregation exercise their royal priesthood and by no means relinquish it.
The Pastoral Transition Plan will be performed in alignment with the process recommended by The LCMS Minnesota South District. Leadership and execution of this plan will be distributed and performed through the following Committees.
The Study Committee will complete a set of research tasks preparing the church for the transition and the new pastor. In addition to members at large, a member of the Council and the Board of Elders should be on the committee. The district will supply a Congregational Self-Study which will give us a snapshot of its present values and ministries as well as its expectations for a new pastor.
This committee will do the work of preparing the congregation to select its new pastor. St. Paul’s Constitution has charged the Elders with this task. During this process, a cross section of congregational members and ministries will be invited to provide input in the selection process.
Based on information received from the Self-Study process, they will develop a ministry description for the position of Pastor. This committee will receive personal information on 25-30 Pastors nominated by congregational members along with those provided by the District office. Via document review, letter surveys, and phone calls, narrow the list to six-eight semi-finalists. These semi-finalists will be interviewed by the committee and a finalist presented to the congregation.
Provide the outgoing pastor and his family with a celebratory farewell event.
Meet regularly to pray for the transition process. Hold periodic prayer vigils at pivotal moments in the process.
Plan a smooth entry of the new pastor and his family. Physical move, provide food for the first day, and coordinate a Welcome Celebration for his Installation. Stay in touch with the pastor and his wife throughout their first year of service.
Guide the transition process through the first year of the new pastor’s service. Members of the Transition Committee members serve as chairs of the other committees. The Chair of the Transition committee will serve as the Communications Coordinator to provide communications and status to the congregation for all committees.
Glen Dahn (Chair)
Darren Van Heldon
Tammy Dorn (committee support)
Phyllis Bolton (committee support)
Kelly Wolter (Chair)
Cindy Janssen (Chair)
Dave Wolter (Chair)
Tom Hanson (committee support)
Brad Brown (Chair)
Prayer Committee Rep TBD